Monday, November 9, 2009

We both forget the breeze... most of the time.

Thank you, Thor, for all of the nice things you commented on my last blog with :) I still have trouble believing that proves I'm more mature than I think. Are we sure that I'm not just whining? Or will these realizations actually change something in me? Will I grow up if I act on these realizations? I'm going to do what I can.

Before I get to working diligently on my book report on Cleopatra and Mark Anthony for my blasted Western Civilizations class, I need to get something off of my chest.

My dad was laid off from GM only 8 weeks ago and has already gotten a new job. Where? Cairo. Egypt. I am extremely happy for him. He is still under the terms of his severance and is going to be earning money from a new job on top of that. I am so proud of him. I know other parents or adults laid off from their automotive jobs who have hardly searched for new jobs, given up or are going back to school so that they can possibly find another job in the future. But my dad was persistent. He was offered three different jobs within the same week and is leaving on the 18th of November for a pretty seemingly decent job.

I admire persistence. It's a strong suit in a person. It gets a person what they want. If not now, in the future. But persistence can hardly ever hurt. I've only ever seen it achieve wonderful things in either the short or long run.

What bothers me is the changes that will have to be made. I'm going to have a lot more responsibility around here that will be thrust upon me in the next ten days and that scares the living hell out of me. On top of full-time schooling and part-time working, I will be taking care of my grandparents, my mom, and my sister, I'm sure. I'm afraid of how that will effect me.

I walked into the house after class today and saw my dad walking around frantically. I asked him if we're going to try to get the Christmas lights up before he leaves.

"I don't think I have time," he said.
"I can help," I answered. One of the things my dad LOVES doing this time of year is the lights. He puts up an elaborate array of lights on the house and puts them to music. He even paid for a radio station so that at night we wouldn't wake the neighbors with the music playing from our house.
"But then who will take them down?"
"I will. We can't just not do it. Teach me the things I need to know and I will do it."

I see how much my dad doesn't want to leave his family. He hates that he can't get a job here. But it's Michigan... no one can get a job here. And if they do, they're the luckiest people in the world.

I love my dad. I'm trying not to think about how much is going to change around here. My family is a family of girls. The only man persistent in my life has always been my father. I'm afraid to lose that.

I want to keep up my fathers dreams around here. Do the things we would normally do with him here. I want him to be happy there. I want him to know that we can live happy here. I want to miss him, but I don't want him to go. I want him to know we love him. I want him to know he doesn't have to worry about us. I want him to be confident that I'll do all I can to make things easier on my mom.

I hope I can help out around here. I hope it isn't too much to handle.

No comments:

Followers